Saturday, February 28, 2009

What's That Smell?

So this may be considered a really morbid post but this is something I think about from time to time. I dont want to die. What I mean is Im not afraid to die, but I am afraid of and distrust funeral homes a lot. A WHOLE lot. I worry about how I will be treated after I die and before I am put in the ground. I know I wont be there, but I still worry about this.
Case in point:

In a town not far from where I live, a man was arrested for abusing a corpse. He owns a very respected funeral home and he is the director there along with his sons. A family owned business that has been around for years and years. He was arrested because about a year ago a lady came into his business to be cremated. He made all the arrangements with the family and was paid for his services. Unfortunately the family never returned for her ashes. Turns out that was probably a good thing at the time, because respected funeral director never had the body cremated. NEVER. He kept her in the embalming room until she started to smell. Then he transferred her in the crate she was being kept in to a hearse. Said hearse was put in a vacant lot owned by respected funeral director. That is where it stayed until it was discovered this past week because of the stench.

Now-I know a few more details on the story than what was told in the news. That is because I work with a guy whose family also owns a funeral home in the same town and the empty/vacant lot that respected funeral home director owned and made this the final resting place of that poor lady is right across the street from my friend's funeral home. Yes--this is a small town. My friend says the sad thing is this is not the worst thing this guy has done. This is just what he got caught at. Not only that, if it hadnt made the news he wouldnt have gotten arrested. Because he is such a respected member of the comunity. As a matter of fact, a very distinguished person in the community passed away the same day of the arrest and this respected funeral director is handling the funeral. Go figure. He wouldnt touch anyone in my family.

Anyway--people when your loved one dies keep a close watch on them. There is no telling what is going on and if you are getting ripped off or not. I would almost like to see things go back to how it was done a long time ago. Loved ones were taken from the funeral home after they were "prepared" to be buried and the family took shifts sitting up with the body until the funeral service. Sort of a drawn out way to pay your last respects but at least you knew the body was being respected.

Stories like this are common around my neck of the woods. That is why I dont want to die here.

2 comments:

Denise said...

gross. I have no qualms about kicking the bucket though.

Linda said...

That's awful. I've given Bruce strict instructions that HE should do the cremating. AFTER he props me up beside the jukebox....