Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Let It Snow

It was 70 degrees here today, with a light wind blowing. When I left work tonight it felt like I was at the beach or something. It was just the temperature and the way the wind blows. I have lived in Alabama all my life but the weather never ceases to amaze me. Tomorrow it is supposed to be in the mid 40's. I mean, how can that be?



Most people put their summer clothes away for the winter and drag out their sweaters and coats. I never put my summer clothes away and I only have limited winter clothes. Because you dont need them. Not for real. Put that with my daily hot flashes and I rarely ever need them. I am never in fashion in the winter. I break all the rules. It is not unusual to see me in shorts with flip flops on. The poor trees and flowers dont even know what to do. I noticed the grass trying to pop through the leaves on the ground and the trees cant decide if they should bud out and bloom. Every living thing is confused about what to do.



I am one of the few people in the south you will hear say that I wish it would snow really good just one time this year. I want one of those snows that stay on the ground more than half a day. I want a snow that you can build a snow man with. A real snow man. Not one of those tiny little things that get built when a 1/2 inch falls. Those are always dirty looking because you drag a lot of dirt up with the snow trying to make the guy big enough to see. I want the roads to be closed. I want to be home bound with lots of coffee and cigarettes. Just for one day. Maybe two days. I want the snow to last so long I get tired of it. I want to for once be able to complain and say I want it to go away. It is very unlikely that will happen.

I can remember one really big snow in Alabama. The blizzard of '92 is one. It snowed and snowed and for a solid week people were stuck at home and couldnt leave. There was no electricity. I can remember walking across the yard in knee deep snow. It was totally beautiful, but by the end of the week, it was totally annoying. It kind of reminded you of The Shining. People couldnt go anywhere, they couldnt watch TV, you felt totally isolated. Now, when there is even a hint of a snow flake, the stores are emptied of bread and milk and schools are closed. People start planning for their snow day off. It is a panic I tell you. A frenzy of preparation for something that most likely wont happen and if it does the snow will melt as soon as the sun rises in the sky. You just cant convince people of that.

I really wish we would get another Blizzard of '92. But no one agrees with me down here.

No comments: