Wednesday, December 17, 2008

There Are Never Too Many Christmas Lights

I love Christmas lights. The more the better. The tackier the better. I like them to be organized, but when I see a yard that has just gone all out with lights everywhere, it makes me smile.

When I was younger there was this man in Tuscaloosa that did his yard up. I mean UP. It was just crazy. He would put the manger scene on the roof and Santa and his sleigh in the yard. Lights were all over the house. I dont just mean on the roof line and windows. I mean ALL OVER his house. Strung up and down and sideways. His yard was the same. He had all kinds of scenes from religious to snowmen. His yard could be seen from blocks away. He would dress up as Santa and stand out by his fence and wish everyone that came by Merry Christmas. He did it every night and every night cars would be lined up to drive by his house. It would literally be a traffic jam.

So when I see a crazy yard, I think of this man who passed on several years ago. This man's yard would always put a smile on my face and I always made a point to go see his yard every year.

Here is a video of somebody (not sure who) who reminds me of him. But you got to add about a bazillion more lights and definitely some blow up and manger scenes to even get close to the man who used to live in Tuscaloosa. I think I may search You Tube some more between now and Christmas and post the most outrageous ones I can find.

Enjoy this one to begin with.


4 comments:

Unknown said...

Ok I'm not Scrooge, and I have not an ounce of Bah Humbug in my body. I love christmas lights - in MODERATION! The lady dancing in the beginning is priceless, but at the end of that video when the house lights up and it could be a little OCD in me, the house isn't even. Some blink of tempo, some don't - it look like Santa vomit seriously. When it's all put together and well done, it's beautiful but when it's not it reminds me of the pain in the ass it would be to put it all up and take it all down. And notice at the end of the video she's not dancing anymore. Ugh!! I love you Lynn and I'm blessed that you love Christmas lights. I need to take a picture of a house up the street, if you want to know what Santa vomit looks like - I'll show you! Love ya!!

Anonymous said...

I remember my dad taking us to this neighborhood where every house on the cul de sac would get involved and overly decorate their houses. I love to look at them, but I don't think I'd love to look at their electric bill.

Linda said...

Ha Ha Ha!!
I too love Christmas lights.But one thing I cannot stand, are the uneven/crookedy ones. Maybe like Heidi, it's my OCD kicking in, but seriously people-take the time to make them straight.I think it is awesome that people take the time to decorate because it really helps with getting into the spirit.
Speaking of OCD and lights... Bruce
couldn't help with decorating the tree this year, so I told him that he had to just keep his mouth shut and watch me do it.He takes FOREVER to string the lights on the tree. He has the patience of a saint, and literally has spent hours upon hours making sure that every branch is lit. It makes me crazy!!!
Now I'm not a slob about it by any means, but it looks good after only 1/2 hour of trying.

I'll be watching for more videos from you!!

Lynnbug said...

Ya'll are funny! I love them all--even-uneven, Santa vomit, classy, the whole nine yards. The only stipulation is that it has to be a LOT of lights!