Friday, May 8, 2009

This Hopefully Will Be The Last Of The Rodent Tales. It's Been A Helluva Week!

I think I have a plague.

We have had a TON of rain here in Alabama. Simply a ton. I say this because I think what happened last night is a result of the monumental rain. I got home from work and I put my feet up and proceeded to watch Grey's Anatomy. When I heard the sound--

"Squeak! Squeak!" It was almost a chirping sound.

Must have been my imagination. Back to Grey's.

"Squeak! Squeak!" No, not my imagination.

Lucy is across the room totally in a state of calm, steadfast, ready to pounce, Im gonna get you because Im a mean ass cat mode.

And there it was. A very tiny field mouse. Not a rat. Obviously a field mouse that had lost its way and found itself in terrible danger.

I got up to see if it was dead because it didnt squeak for a while. Then it jumped! It really jumped! It started running and jumping across the room and Lucy started chasing it. It was every where at once! Jumping! Running! Then Lucy stopped chasing it. But it didnt stop running and jumping! I screamed because it got into my area--MY living space--really close to my feet. I get on the couch and beg Lucy not to lose interest.

She doesnt. She kept getting it and she would bite it and put it down. It would lay there and play dead. Then it would jump and run. This continued for about 30 minutes. The mouse finally made it's way to a corner and buried his head there. Lucy stopped attacking and just sat and watched it. All night. Every once in a while it would squeak. Pitifully.

I got up this morning and it was still alive but had not moved. It was breathing but you could tell that it didnt have long. It was really small and tiny. Long back leg and short front ones. A true field mouse. I still wouldnt touch it because after last night and all the jumping I was taking no chances.

I got into my chair and tried to watch TV and Lucy had one last round of slapping it around. It still squeaked but did not move. Im sure after all the cat bites it couldnt-I can only imagine the pain. I started feeling sorry for the damned thing!

So I scooped it up and returned it to the outside world. It never moved. Just squeaked.

But at least he died at home. Peacefully.

No comments: